– Book a rental car with Firefly – they will inform you on a short notice (if ever) that you have to put a deposit of 1500 Euros from your credit card as guaranty for the car. Otherwise you can’t pick up the car from their office.
– If it’s not summer yet, don’t book for Hotel Bengassi in Rimini – you will freeze in the room. Same thing for Hotel Ariston in Pisa – they compensate the cold with having the Leaning Tower of Pisa just 300 m away.
– Park where you would like to park. Pay attention for the parking restrictions and don’t sneak behind small streets and buildings like we did (small Lancia can fit anywhere). They will find you even there and leave you with a pink paper in the window.
– We switched the rental car to Sicily by car and it was better. Only 400 Euros as deposit for a car with full insurance. We got a little Lancia instead of the Fiat Punto we opted for but it went well.
– In Perugia go to La Bottega di Perugia – they have the best Panini (sandwiches) I have ever had (well, besides the bacon ones that Mau does)
– Check out the tourist menu in Pisa at Trattoria Toscana. Food is great, restaurant is close to the Tower (300m) and you will enjoy the traditional tuscanian dishes, primo secondi piati and wine for just 15 eur each.
– When in Tuscania – check in at Hotel Tuscania Panoramico and maybe you’ll be lucky to get a room with an amazing view over the historic center of the town and Mont Cimini on the horizon.
– If you ever have the chance to be near Tuscania, make a day trip to Monte Argentario – have your brunch with fried calamari rings, squids and some fries together with a glass of white wine while watching the sea.
– In Rome – book your tickets for Colosseum in advance if you don’t want to wait in line for hours. We got ours here at Coopculture.it for only 14 Euros each and we got Colosseum and Foro Romano Palatino for that price. While visiting Il Foro would be best to join a guided tour otherwise there is not much to understand from the ruins.
– And when I was about to forget, GELATO came to my mind. Best ice cream I always had has been in Italy and, oh well, this time in San Marino.
– Sygic is a very good GPS program working also on mobile phones. Comparing to a classical one that last year made us cross the Romanian frontier on a road which was accessible only by foot and in the middle of a small village, Sygic only got us once on a dead end. So, go ahead for it and update your maps.